Last June, Microsoft introduced a new feature on Windows 10, i.e. Ransomware Protection which is known as "Controlled Folder Access". Now here is some good news for all users.
With the release of the Windows 10 Fall Creator Update, this Controlled Folder Access feature goes live for all users.
This feature will save users' data from ransomware as the feature gives controlled access to any apps. It will restrict the editing or any modifications on files or folders within this feature.
How to Use Controlled Folder Access Features?I personally recommend you give it a try. It's easy to enable the feature. Here I will tell two easy ways to enable Controlled Folder Access features-
1. You can enable Controlled Folder Access directly from the PowerShell command line. Just type the following command-
Set-MpPreference -EnableControlledFolderAccess EnabledAnd to disable the feature use the following command-
Set-MpPreference -EnableControlledFolderAccess DisabledAnother way to enable the feature-
- Click Start and type "Windows Defender Security Centre" and select it.
- Now you will be on the Security section for Windows Defender, now click on the Windows Defender Security Centre button. (Right side).
- In Windows Defender Security Centre, you will get an option named Virus & Threats Protection Settings, click on it.
- Now scroll down on the new page/window and look for "Controlled Folder Access".
- Here you got it, now just use the toggle to enable or disable the feature.
As to enable the Controlled Folder Access Feature, you will get an option with the title Protected Folder.
Just below that you will get ADD button. Firstly you will be asked to select or add files or folders you want to protect, choose your desired files or folders and click next.
Now on the second page, you will ask to add allowed Apps. Here you have to choose an app that you allow to read or write the protected files or folders. This option will whitelist the apps that are allowed to access, edit, create or remove files from protected folders.
Hope you get to know about the Controlled Folder Access features. If I missed anything please comment below.