Why Apply for CDS? Clearing the Cloud!
of the Defense Academy of India has its own set of perks and benefits.
We often wonder if joining the defense sector is a suitable decision or no.
For all those inclined towards a job in the defense sector, CDS maybe a good
option for you!
Combined Defence Services (CDS) is held for recruiting aspirants to the
post of Office Cadres in Indian Army, Navy and Air force. It is conducted by UPSC twice every year. More than 2 lakh candidates fill
CDS Application Form each year.
Candidates are supposed to clear 3 mains stages viz. Written exam, Interview by SSB and Medical examination. Applicants who clear all the stages of the exam are sent for orientation and training in the desired
But the big question is, why one should apply for CDS? Well, we will try
and help you answer this question. There are plenty of reasons why this
exam is better than other entry exams.
- Through CDS, individuals have better chances of getting screened in, as the reporting strength is very less unlike Technical Graduate Course (TGC).
- The exam offers a challenging career. It is a job that is strenuous but still exciting to its core.
- There is a total security of job. There are specified rules and regulations which are there for the interests of the defence personnel while in service and after retirement in the form of pension and other health facilities.
- The job offers a total financial stability. A candidate recruited through
- CDS not only enjoys job satisfaction, but is granted a number of perks too.
- You may even get a lucrative offer of going abroad. An officer is provided with opportunities to interact with UN forces which help in developing wider perspectives.
- The number of vacancies in IMA and OTA through CDS is around 150
- and 225 respectively, which increase the odds of getting into these institutions.
Advantages and Perks of Being Recruited through CDS
Being recruited in CDS itself is an accomplishment in itself. India has the
world’s 3rd largest army and nothing is better than to be a part of it.
The government follows a basic principle- To take care of those who take care of us. People who serve in the Army, Navy and Air force have a number of benefits. The Army in general is offered about 61 varieties of allowances and facilities. CDS allowances to the defence force have undergone a surge of about 50%. Some merits are stated below:
- Pay Scale- It is as per the ranks of officers. The pay scale for the ranks Lieutenant to Major is INR 15,600 to INR 39,100.
- Stipend during Training- CDS qualified officers receive a fixed stipend of INR21,000 for the entire duration of training.
- Promotions- The promotion period has been reduced and occurs on the basis of fulfillment of the required service.
- Dearness allowance
- Field Area allowance
- Kit Maintenance allowance
- Uniform allowance
- Children’s Education allowance
- Transport allowance
- Officers are given jobs after their serving period is over and also have retired pension plans.
In addition to this, joining the defence forces gives a sense of satisfaction to the officers. They have a secure job that assures financial stability. They even have the opportunity of going abroad to represent their country in institutions like the United Nations.
Who can apply for CDS?
All aspirants must satisfy the eligibility norms of CDS, as laid down by UPSC. Male aspirants can apply for recruitment to any institute among INA,IMA, AFA or OTA, while female individuals can apply only for recruitment to OTA.
The basic CDS eligibility criteria are mentioned below-
- The minimum age required to be eligible is 19 years.
- The qualification required for INA and AFA is a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering.
- A graduation degree in any discipline is acceptable for IMA and OTA.
- Individuals who apply for IMA, INA and AFA below 25 years of age should be unmarried.
- Applicants should also be physically fit as it is an essential part of the recruitment process.
How to Apply for CDS?
Candidates must fill the online application form of CDS available at the official website of UPSC. The exam is conducted in June and October each year. Application form consists of 2 parts- Registration and Payment of Application fees. These steps are explained below:
1. Log on to the official website of UPSC and select the option of ‘Combined Defence Services Examination’.
2. The registration page will open.
3. Enter all your personal and academic details in the first part.
4. Select your preference of desired department/ institution while applying for the exam. Changes cannot be made once the form is submitted.
5. Next, pay the application fee and attach required documents (scanned photograph and signatures).
6. CDS Application Fee is INR 200 to be paid by Male candidates of General and OBC category only.
7. Upload your scanned photograph and signature.
8. Accept the declaration and take a print of the filled form.
We hope by now you must be convinced and clear with why to apply for CDS Exam. The job options and other perks are inviting for the selected candidates. It is no less than a dream job. Mazel Tov!